vviseZ - 1978 Datsun 280Z Build Log [HLS30457973] Total Spent - $12,708.00

To Do List:

  • Tachometer
  • New gauges
  • Indicators
  • LED illumination
  • Rebuild center console
  • Remove AC unit from dash
  • Sound dampening
  • Replace Serpentine Belt
  • Airdam
  • Spoiler
  • Blackout rear light housings
  • Blackout bumpers
  • Distributor Cap
  • Vacuum lines
  • Battery
  • Headlight covers
  • Fender mirrors
  • Nardi steering wheel
  • Toggle switches
  • Fender flares
  • Fuel regulator relocation
  • Fuel lines
  • Rear bumper delete
  • Heater core delete
  • New wheels
  • Brake rebuild
  • Center panel fab
  • Fender flares for real
  • Lowering springs
  • New lug nuts
  • Hazard switch
  • Driver window crank
  • IMSA rear spoiler
  • Repair clock
  • Brake master cylinder
  • New front air dam
  • Mount trip reset
  • Hood release handle
  • Chrome delete
  • Dashboard cover
  • Coilovers
  • Airfuel mixture gauge
  • Tune air fuel ratio
  • Battery terminal leads
  • Battery relocate
  • Speedometer cal
  • USB
  • Trunk board
  • Bluetooth speaker
  • Wrap headers
  • Check timing
  • Driver side glass
  • Gauge LED redo
  • Rear diffuser
  • Rivnut flares

New Airdam

2017.04.24

Finally picked up a new urethane air dam. This one is exceptionally durable and way easier to fit. It's also straight! A wet sand, a few coats of paint more wet sanding and paint and it's looking fantastic.

To me the car looks so much better now. Next up that full dash cover.

New Brake Master Cylinder

2017.04.19

Replaced the old MC with a new one. Bled everything (a few times) and it's feeling much better than before. It might need another bleed. I absolutely have more braking power than before, but I really need to step on it for it to count. It's also making me feel like I need to tighten up the alignment... It never ends.

New Clock Updated and Fixed

2017.03.07

I purchased a clock last fall from a guy in Toronto. It wasn't working when I came to pick it up, but he promised it had been the whole time up until then. He blamed the cold weather, but seemed like an honest guy.

Today I finally rigged it up on a bench and to my surprise it worked. I opened it up and replaced the face with a white one I made. Cut out the old bulb and wired in LEDs. Put it back together... and it was dead. Opened it up again and determined everything was fine except for some friction. Hit it with a penetrating fluid and all is running well now.

IMSA Spoiler Finished

2017.02.26

It took almost 3 weeks time, a couple 3-4 hour days. Adding bondo, sanding, bondo, sanding, etc. I had to rotate the side bits inwards and recut their inside edge to help close the gap at the top of the spoiler. That opened up a hole in the fiberglass, so I filled it with spray foam, then bondo'd overtop. To finish, 5 layers of primer black paint.

Looks Mint!

Next up I'm really feeling the need to get a new airdam and front suspension. I'll have to cut the fenders to make the wheel wells larger going in the front.

Window Crank Replaced

2017.02.02

Now when I close the door it doesn't fall off! Finally.

Full Archive